Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Craker School


Unnamed students at the Craker-Brown School - ca 1913 - nearest school to Aghosatown.

The Craker school was built in 1860 at the southwest corner of Overlook and Davis Roads. Unfortunately there is no trace of it today. It is referred to as the Brown School because it was built on land once owned by G. Brown.

The Grand Traverse Herald of 24 Dec 1912 tells of Amelia Miller finishing her fall term at teacher.



"We had a country school in those days located on the south-west corner of the crossroad north of where your folks live. The site is now covered with brush. Both my sister and I went to that school. There was about 15 white and about the same number of Indians. I grew up with them. They were Chippewas and I learned their language fairly well. We played together at school and I went fishing and hunting with them. I played baseball on their team in Omena. I even had a little Indian girl friend when I was about 8 years old. Her name was Anna Neongaby. They were my friends and I was one of theirs. Basically they were honest. It usually was the whites that made them otherwise."  (Letter from Russ Scott to Amanda Stewart 1984 - printed in Omena Historical Society Timelines, vol. 5 #2 - Fall 2009).





No comments:

Post a Comment